Wednesday, December 8, 2010

The Most Important Thing About An Injury...

Is Accepting It!!!  And Not Ignoring It (which I would like to do!!)

Saturday and Sunday were rest days from running this week.  I'm not sure how I can run miles and miles and feel great, then lean over to pick up a dust bunny and be crippled up for a week!!!

My best guess is that I have a herniated disc which is irritating my sciatic nerve.  I've talked to a couple of people with this injury (and I had a major sciatic nerve injury ~7 years ago - again, leaning over to pick up my nephew from his stroller...I didn't even start to lift him yet!) and have done some pretty extensive research on it.  Anyone that has experienced this, I'd be happy to hear your input as well!.  Since Advil and ice don't touch it, yet I feel perfect when standing straight or lying down, I have to assume it's not muscle and it's not due to excessive inflammation.  My assumption is that it's a slight herniation that is "reaching out and slightly touching" my sciatic nerve.  So, I rest it and allow it to heal.  I will take the rest of the week off from running and will attempt it again this weekend.  Based on my results...who knows.  I am positively thinking I will be running again VERY SOON!  Thank goodness I have all the extra time to train for the Half Marathon, right????

No comments:

Post a Comment